Don Megowan (May 24, 1922 – June 26, 1981) was an American actor. He played the Gill-man on land in The Creature Walks Among Us, the final part of the Creature from the Black Lagoon trilogy.
Don Megowan was born in Inglewood, California to Robert and Leila (née Dale) Megowan. His mother Leila worked as a negative cutter for Pathé. At 6'7" Megowan was very active in sports, playing baseball, football, and throwing discus. He went to the University of California on a football scholarship before serving in the United States Army during World War II.
Megowan starred in the science fiction films The Werewolf in the role of Sheriff Jack Haines, in The Creation of the Humanoids (1962) as a captain in the anti-robot Order of Flesh and Blood, who must stop the Humanoids, and in The Creature Walks Among Us as the Gill-man.
Megowan also appeared in westerns: Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier (1955), The Great Locomotive Chase (1956), Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966), The Devil's Brigade (1968) and Mel Brooks Blazing Saddles (1974).
In 1962, he starred with Cameron Mitchell in the television series, The Beachcomber. He guest starred in various programs, including the westerns: Gunsmoke, Wagon Train (twice), The Californians, The Tall Man, Maverick, Cimarron City, Have Gun–Will Travel, Tales of Wells Fargo, The Rifleman, Lawman, Cheyenne, Colt .45, Bonanza, The Americans, Rawhide, and Daniel Boone. He was also cast in episodes of such series as Angel, U.S. Marshal, Get Smart, and Fantasy Island.
Megowan, a smoker from age 12 to 48, died of throat cancer at age 59. His weight had dwindled from nearly 300 pounds to barely 150.
- 1951 : The Mob...Bruiser - Big Longshoreman at Union Hall (uncredited)
- 1951 : On the Loose...Club Emerald Headwaiter (uncredited)
- 1951 : The Kid from Amarillo...Rakim
- 1953 : Sangaree...River Pirate (uncredited)
- 1954 : Prince Valiant...Sir Lancelot (uncredited)
- 1955 : Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier ...William Travis
- 1955 : To Catch a Thief...Detective at Costume Ball (uncredited)
- 1955 : A Lawless Street...Dooley Brion
- 1956 : Anything Goes...Henri (uncredited)
- 1956 : The Creature Walks Among Us...Gill-man on land (uncredited)
- 1956 : The Great Locomotive Chase...Marion A. Ross
- 1956 : The Werewolf...Sheriff Jack Haines
- 1956 : Gun the Man Down...Ralph Farley
- 1957 : The Delicate Delinquent...Policeman (uncredited)
- 1957 : Hell Canyon Outlaws...Henchman Walt
- 1957 : The Story of Mankind...Early Man
- 1958 : Snowfire...Mike McGowan
- 1958 : The Man Who Died Twice...T. J. Brennan
- 1958 : A Lust to Kill...Cheney Holland
- 1958 : Money, Women and Guns...John Briggs
- 1958 : The Buccaneer...Pirate with Axe (uncredited)
- 1958 : Tales of Frankenstein (TV)...The Monster
- 1959 : The Jayhawkers!...China
- 1960 : Road of the Giants/La strada dei giganti...Clint Farrell
- 1961 : Guns of the Black Witch...Jean
- 1962 : The Creation of the Humanoids...Capt. Kenneth Cragis
- 1962 : The Beachcomber (TV)...Capt.Huckabee
- 1963 : For Love or Money...Gregor Garrison
- 1966 : Tarzan and the Valley of Gold...Mr. Train
- 1967 : Border Lust
- 1968 : The Devil's Brigade...Luke Pehelan
- 1968 : Night Hunt...Officer
- 1974 : Scream of the Wolf (TV film)...Grant
- 1974 : Blazing Saddles...Gum Chewer
- 1974 : Melvin Purvis: G-Man (TV film)...Hamburger Stand Man
- 1974 : Truck Turner...Garrity
- 1975 : The Kansas City Massacre (TV film)...Boss Stringer
- 1977 : The Great Gundown...Baldy
- 1979 : Mrs. R's Daughter (TV film)...Larsen (Last appearance)