|Was||Actor Stage actor Film actor Theatre director Theater professional|
|From||Austria United States of America|
|Field||Arts Film, TV, Stage & Radio|
|Birth||13 September 1909, Vienna, Austria|
|Death||5 November 1990, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA (aged 81 years)|
Herbert Berghof (13 September 1909 – 5 November 1990) was an American actor, director and acting teacher.
Born and educated in Vienna, Austria, he studied acting there with Max Reinhardt. After fleeing the Nazis, he moved to New York in 1939, where he launched a career as an actor and director on Broadway, and worked with Lee Strasberg. Berghof became a charter member of the Actors Studio in 1947, with classmates including Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, Jerome Robbins, and Sidney Lumet.
In 1945, he co-founded HB Studio (the Herbert Berghof Studio) in New York City, as a place where aspiring actors could train and practice. In 1948, Uta Hagen joined the Studio as Berghof's artistic partner, and they married in 1957. They ran the studio together until his death in 1990. Notable alumni included Jack Lemmon, Al Pacino, Liza Minnelli, Robert De Niro, Geraldine Page, Fritz Weaver, Anne Bancroft, Donna McKechnie and Matthew Broderick.
Stage appearances by Berghof included roles in Ibsen's The Lady from the Sea (1950), The Andersonville Trial (1959). Among his film appearances were 5 Fingers (1952), Red Planet Mars (1952), Fräulein (1958), Cleopatra (1963), An Affair of the Skin (1963), Harry and Tonto (1974), Voices (1979), Those Lips, Those Eyes (1980), Times Square (1980) and Target (1985). He directed the first Broadway production of Beckett's Waiting for Godot (1956).
Described by The New York Times as "one of the nation's most respected acting teachers and coaches", he died of a heart ailment on 5 November 1990 at his home in Manhattan.
- 5 Fingers (1952) - Col. von Richter
- Red Planet Mars (1952) - Franz Calder
- Diplomatic Courier (1952) - Arnov
- Assignment – Paris! (1952) - Prime Minister Andreas Ordy
- Fräulein (1958) - Karl Angermann
- Cleopatra (1963) - Theodotos
- An Affair of the Skin (1963) - Max
- Harry and Tonto (1974) - Rivetowski
- Mastermind (1976)
- Voices (1979) - Nathan Rothman
- Those Lips, Those Eyes (1980) - Dr. Julius Fuldauer
- Times Square (1980) - Dr. Huber
- Target (1985) - Schroeder (final film role)