Jason Wisdom is the former lead vocalist and bass guitarist for the Christian Progressive death metal band Becoming the Archetype signed to Solid State Records and Century Media Records (Europe) formed in 1999 in Dacula, Georgia. Though he was born and raised in a Christian home, he states that he was never committed to Christianity until high school. He considers his music as a form of ministry, but wishes to avoid a "preachy" stereotype. His influences include Extol, Living Sacrifice, and Mortification among others. Wisdom is an avid fan of metal music, and Christian metal in particular. He notes that even though his music is Christian metal, many of his fans are not Christians and are many times the ones who defend his music. Wisdom left the band in late November 2011 to take care of his family. Though current 7 Horns 7 Eyes frontman, JJ Polachek, tried out, Wisdom was replaced by former live fill in, Chris McCane. He has recently started a solo project titled Death Therapy, which features no Guitars. He currently works for RYFO, a company that helps musicians with places to stay, meals and other such things.
Becoming the Archetype (1999-2011)
Wisdom's musical career started in 1999, when he helped form Technical death metal band, Becoming the Archetype with Guitarists Sean Cunningham and Jon Star, Bassist Wes Gaither, and Drummer Brent "Duck" Duckett. The band was not originally called BTA, as it was called Nonexistent Failure. The band recorded a demo under this monkier, before changing the name again to The Remnant. The band recorded a demo and a their self titled album under this name. Around 2003-2004 the band played Cornerstone Festival, where they met the musicians in Demon Hunter. The members of DH told the members of the band to change their name, so they would not be confused with the punk band The Remnants. The band again changed their name to Becoming the Archetype. The band went over several line-up changes with the exception of Wisdom, Duck and founding BTA Guitarist (who had nothing to do with Nonexistent Failure or The Remnant) Seth Hecox. The band recorded four albums, titled Terminate Damnation, The Physics of Fire, Dichotomy, and Celestial Completion, before Wisdom and Duck left the band, on November 14, 2011.
Beginning in 2012, Jason joined with guitarist Alex Kenis (Aletheian, ex-Becoming the Archetype) and drummer Travis Turner (ex-Aletheian, UnTeachers) to begin their new band Solamors based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The band's influences are Death, Emperor, Cynic, Becoming the Archetype, Aletheian, The Burial, Black Crown Initiate, Demon Hunter, Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad, Extol.
Death Therapy (2015-present)
Death Therapy is Wisdom's solo project that was original conceived in 2010, but started recording in 2015. He recorded a single titled "Possessed" and was released on November 9, 2015. Wisdom is planning on releasing an EP and touring in 2016. The projects influences are Tool, Opeth, and Devin Townsend. On October 30, 2016, it Wisdom announced that Death Therapy had signed to Solid State Records and will be releasing the new album, by around February 2017.
- Solamors - vocals (2012-present)
- Death Therapy - vocals, bass (2015-present)
- Becoming the Archetype - vocals (1999-2011), bass (2003-2011)
w/ Becoming the Archytype
As Nonexistent Failure
- In Loving Memory of Everything... I Never Had (2002)
As The Remnant
- Death, Destruction, and Mayhem (2003)
- Studio albums
- The Remnant (2004, self-released)
As Becoming the Archetype
- Studio albums
|US||US Heat||US Christ|
|2005||Terminate Damnation||Solid State Records||—||—||—|
|2007||The Physics of Fire||Solid State/Century Media||—||13||19|
|2008||Dichotomy||Solid State Records||—||19||41|
|2011||Celestial Completion||Solid State Records||—||7||18|
- "Necrotizing Fasciitis" (non-album digital single, 2009, Solid State)
- "O Holy Night" (non-album digital single, 2011, Solid State)
- Music videos
- "Endure" (The Physics Of Fire) – 2007
- "The Magnetic Sky" (Celestial Completion) – 2011
- "Breathing Light" (Celestial Completion) – 2011
- Studio albums
w/ Death Therapy
- Studio albums
- The Storm Before the Calm (February 2017)
- "Reject" by Living Sacrifice (2010; Live)
- "Nemesis" by Hope for the Dying (2016)
- "Becoming the Archetype: 'Celestial Completion' First-Week Sales Revealed". Blabbermouth.net. Roadrunner Records. April 6, 2011. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "Celestial Completion - Becoming The Archetype". Billboard (magazine).
- ""Go get Necrotizing Fasciitis! Embrace the Plague!" Official BtA blog at MySpace". Blogs.myspace.com. 2009-09-14. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- "O Holy Night: Becoming the Archetype". Amazon.com.
- "Breathing Light Music Video Announced". Celestialcompletion.com. 2011-04-21. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- Dave (January 9, 2016). "Death Therapy releases second single". The Antidote. Retrieved January 11, 2016.
- Stagg, David (January 8, 2016). "LISTEN: Death Therapy (ex-Becoming the Archetype)". HM Magazine. Retrieved January 13, 2016.
- Wisdom, Jason (April 21, 2016). "New Beginning, Familiar Place". Facebook. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
In 1999, I got together with a few high school buddies in my best friend's basement to make some music. One of the first songs I remember trying to cover was "Reject" by Living Sacrifice. Fast forward to 2010, and I did my final tour with Becoming the Archetype. That tour was in support of Living Sacrifice. Several times on that tour, I was honored to do guest vocals on "Reject." Now it is 2016, and I am leaving for my first "tour dates" with my new band, Death Therapy. Who are we opening for? None other than the great Living Sacrifice. This may not seem like a big deal to you...but it is HUGE for me.